Holy moly this was crazy delicious! I love me some veggies…so don’t get me wrong when I say I wasn’t expecting this vegetarian dish to be sooooo good. It’s so hearty that you wouldn’t know it’s vegetarian – and extremely easy to make.
If you’re like me and had no clue…what the heck is a “Ragout” and how do you pronounce it? Well, it sounds like “Ragù” (yes…I was pronouncing it “rag-out” in my head before I googled it”. Even though they are both pronounced the same way, here is a great article outlining the difference between Ragù and Ragout.
Mushroom Ragout Polenta Cakes Recipe
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Total: 30 mins
Yield: 2 servings
- 1/2 tube of Italian polenta (9 oz.)
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 shallot
- 1 teaspoon thyme (fresh, if handy)
- 1.5 tablespoons vegetable stock concentrate
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 drizzles olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded parmeson to garnish
- Parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees (F) and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Mince garlic cloves.
- Halve, peel, and mince the shallot.
- Slice the polenta into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, sear the polenta slices about 1 minute per side until golden brown. Transfer them to a baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm.
- In the same pan, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook, tossing for about 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat another drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallot, thyme, and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes (until softened).
- Add 1/2 cup water and the vegetable stock concentrate to the pan. Bring the ragout to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until reduced and thickened for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat, stir in the sour cream and mushrooms. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Plate the crispy polenta cakes and top with the mushroom ragout. Sprinkle a bit of parmesan and parsley.