Who doesn’t love a delicious gooey, guilty, sweet, marshmallowy Rice Krispie treat?
Even the most inexperienced can easily whip up Rice Krispie bars. These have quickly become a family favorite since they are extra yummy with cake batter and colorful sprinkles. You can customize these to any occasion with festive sprinkles. In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, I whipped these up for the fam.
**NOTE** I prefer my Rice Krispie treats to be extra gooey and creamy…if you prefer less gooey sweetness, cut back the butter by 1-2 tablespoons and/or add up to 1 cup of additional Rice Krispies cereal.
Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Prep: 10 mins
Cook/set: 40 mins
Total: 50 mins
Yield: 24 squares (or 36 bite sized mini squares)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (10 oz.) bag of mini marshmallows
- 2/3 cup boxed yellow cake mix
- 5 cups rice krispie cereal
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup festive sprinkles (I used a mix of Sparkling Sugar & Pink Hearts)
- Lightly spray a baking pan with nonstick spray & set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir constantly.
- Once marshmallows are completely melted, stir in the dry cake mix until completely combined and remove from heat.
- Stir in the cereal until it is completely coated and ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Gently stir in roughly half of the sprinkles.
- Lightly spray a hard spatula with non-stick spray and gently press the rice krispie mix into the baking pan. Don’t press down too hard (keeping the treats light and chewy).
- Scatter the remaining sprinkles on top.
- Let sit for about 30 minutes before cutting into squares. If the knife sticks to the squares, lightly spray with non-stick spray.