I’m an absolute veggie fiend! I can chow down on pretty much any fresh veggie under the sun, not to mention load them on my pizzas and sandwiches. However, I always have a difficult time getting my family to eat veggies outside the box. This was a creative way to disguise some of their least favorite veggies as a yummy side.
Since I used individual baking dishes, it was super easy to use up leftover veggies sitting around from meals I had cooked earlier in the week.
Baked Sliced Veggie Melt Recipe
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 15-25 mins (depends on your preference of crunchiness)
Total: 20-30 mins
Yield: 3 servings (Adjust ingredients to desired number of servings)
Thick slices of your favorite veggies ! I used:
- 3 thick slices of onion
- 1/2 yellow squash
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1/3 green bell pepper
- 1/2 tomato
- Shredded mozzerella cheese
- Olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- Lemon pepper
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice your selected veggies into thick slices.
- Arrange alternating veggies into upright stacks in your baking dish. You can easily adjust this to be a large family-size side, or you can bake individual cups for single serve sides.
- Lightly drizzle olive oil over side-stacked veggies.
- Sprinkle desired seasonings.
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 – 25 mins to your desired firmness.
I prefer my veggies on the crunchier/under-baked side over softer texture, so I bake it for less time.